Dad-of-three says he nearly died from brain haemorrhage after downing 25 energy drinks in six hours
Nick Mitchell was diagnosed with a brain haemorrhage after the near-fatal incident and also suffered a series of terrifying mini-strokes that left him numb and unable to speak
A dad of three today reveals how he ended up on the brink of death – through downing too many energy drinks.
Nick Mitchell suffered a brain haemorrhage after gulping 25 cans of Monster and Red Bull over the space of six hours while running a karaoke evening in a hot club.
He woke up later that night with a blinding headache so bad he called 999 and was rushed to hospital.
Doctors diagnosed a severe caffeine overdose and a CT scan revealed a brain bleed.
The frightened mechanic was rushed into surgery and warned 60% of victims had another haemorrhage within the next 12 hours – many fatal.It was the beginning of weeks of hell in which survivor Nick, 56, went on to suffer a series of terrifying mini-strokes that left him numb and unable to speak because of lack of oxygen to his brain.
“I had three in the space of a week,” said Nick. “These drinks nearly killed me. I was so close to death and thought I might not make it through surgery.They should not be sold. They are as bad as drugs and should be banned.”
A single can of an energy drink can contain as much as 160mg of caffeine – more than a double espresso – and up to 14 teaspoons of sugar.